What to do in case of heavy rain?
- Clear all culverts, catch basins and watercourses to make sure water can flow freely. Make sure there’s no snow, trees, garbage or other debris blocking them.
- Clear fire hydrants around your house.
- If your home has a backwater valve installed on the sewer, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning to make sure it’s functioning properly. Make sure your sump pump is working too.
- If your home is prone to flooding, get valuable items off the basement floor.
- Clean your eaves troughs. When they’re blocked, rain will pour over the edges and could spill into your basement.
- Stay away from fast-flowing streams and ponds, and stay off the ice. Higher temperatures will weaken the ice during warmer weather.
- If you see a flooded area, don’t go near it. Don’t try to drive your car or walk through it.
- Stay away from areas known to flood.
- If you see a flooded road, call the city officials to report it.