Everything you need to know about buying insurance in Montreal
Driving and commuting in Montreal
If you own a car and live in Montreal, you likely take the 15, the 40, or even the 13 regularly to get across the island or commute nearby. Maybe you live nearby Laval or on the South Shore and drive into the city or through Montreal for work.
If you commute using a car, auto insurance coverage from belairdirect could be a good option for you. With belairdirect, you’ll find the right coverage that keeps you protected when you’re on the road, and while you’re parked, no matter where you drive in Montreal.
How many cars are on the road in Montreal? There are over 1.9 million registered cars and SUVs on the island of Montreal and its metropolitan area
When stuck in regular traffic, the average Montreal driver spends over 60 minutes on the road while getting to or from work. For every resident of the city of Montreal, there are 1.5 cars in return.
Drive safely in Montreal and save with automerit
When you sign up for automerit, you could save on your car insurance when you drive safely in Montreal.
Auto theft in Montreal
On average, there are 12,455 cars stolen throughout Quebec. The Montreal area represents approximately 7,000 of those thefts. Although Quebec was once the province with the highest rates of auto theft in Canada, there has been a 55% decrease in car theft over the past decade.
The most commonly stolen type of vehicle model in Montreal is the 2018 Honda CR-V 4DR AWD,
according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Get a car insurance quote in Montreal
Living in Montreal
In Montreal, a large portion of the people living in the city rent an apartment or house. Although home prices are still lower than the other major Canadian cities, there has been a surge in condo purchases thanks to large construction projects. No matter what living arrangement you choose, there’s tenant insurance coverage, condo insurance, and home insurance coverage that fits your lifestyle.
There are over 4.2 million people who live in Montreal
Montreal currently has a population of over 4 million residents within its metropolitan area. The city proper has 1.6 million people living within it.
Things to consider when shopping for home insurance in Montreal:
- Although still ranked as one of Canada’s most affordable big cities, home prices in Montreal have been on the rise for the past few years. The real estate market has been red-hot in the city, and the average cost for a home on the island of Montreal in 2021 is $542,000. Your insurance will need to be adjusted to cover a total loss.
- Montreal is known for its frigid winters where temperatures can dip to -40° C and increased humidity can cause snow to pile up for several feet. This can cause problems when it melts in the spring or when the cold weather causes pipes to freeze.
With home insurance from belairdirect, you could cover the cost of:
- Damage from fire, smoke damage, lightning, and explosions.
- Certain types of water damage that start from inside your home.
- Theft, including the damage caused by attempted theft. As Canada’s second-largest city, Montreal has a slightly higher crime rate because of its population.
- Damage caused by weather events.
- Impact from aircraft or vehicles.
- Impact stemming from non-waterborne objects.
- Damage to goods you own while they're being transported.
- Damage caused by the weight of snow, ice, or sleet. Montreal winters are known to be very cold. The proximity of the Saint-Lawrence River can make these cold weather conditions even worse.
- Reimbursement of medical payments and related expenses.
- Expenses related to lawsuits.
- Covered property damage.
Talk to an insurance agent if you have questions regarding what’s included in your home insurance policy.
belairdirect offers you home insurance coverage that fits your lifestyle in Montreal and gives you peace of mind no matter what life throws your way.
Get a homeowners insurance quote from belairdirect today.
Owning a home or condo in Montreal
37% of Montreal residents own a home or condo.
Low-rise condo buildings make up 64.2% of all condo construction in the city of Montreal.
Renting an apartment in Montreal
A whopping 63% of Montrealers are renters. Even if you don’t own the apartment or house you call home, it’s important to protect yourself from unforeseen circumstances that could set you back. belairdirect offers tenant insurance coverage that fits your lifestyle in Montreal and gives you peace of mind no matter what neighbourhood you’re renting in.
With belairdirect, you could be covered for:
- Compensation for additional living expenses
- Damage or theft to your personal property
- Personal liability if someone gets hurt or injured
Protect yourself and get a tenant insurance quote for your rented property in Montreal.
Save on car and home insurance in Montreal by bundling your coverage
By bundling your insurance with belairdirect in Montreal, you could save up to 15% on your auto insurance coverage and up to 15% on home insurance coverage.
You’ll also only need to deal with one insurance company for all your coverage needs.
Get a bundled insurance quote from belairdirect.
You deserve better when it comes to insurance. With the belairdirect advantage, you get:
- A car or home insurance quote in as little as 3 minutes
- Personalized pricing and discounts
- Access to digital tools that let you control your coverage
- A chance to save even more by driving safely with automerit
- Online resources to find answers and information quickly on your own
- 24/7 claims support