What to do in case of heavy rain
- Clear all culverts, catch basins and watercourses to make sure water can flow freely. Make sure there's no snow, trees, garbage or other debris blocking them.
- Clear fire hydrants around your house.
- If your home has a backwater valve installed on the sewer, follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning to make sure it's functioning properly. Make sure your sump pump is working too.
- If your home is prone to flooding, get valuable items off the basement floor.
- Clean your eaves troughs. When they're blocked, rain will pour over the edges and could spill into your basement.
- Stay away from fast-flowing streams and ponds, and stay off the ice. Higher temperatures will weaken the ice during warmer weather.
- If you see a flooded area, don't go near it. Don't try to drive your car or walk through it.
- Stay away from areas known to flood.
- If you see a flooded road, call the city officials to report it.
The information contained on this webpage is for informational purposes only. belairdirect makes no representation, warranty or guarantee that use of this information will prevent damage. Your insurance contract prevails at all times, please consult it for a complete description of coverage and exclusions.