Car insurance in Quebec: save up to $150
Looking for car insurance? You’re in the right place!
Auto insurance Quebec, more ways to save
Car insurance for Quebec drivers from Gatineau to Gaspé
Being stuck on the 15 from Laval to Montréal is never fun, but having the right car insurance coverage can lower your stress levels. Crossing the bridge from Lévis to Québec City for work? Whenever you need help with a claim, we’ll be there to support you, 24/7.
What coverage do you need in Quebec?
All drivers in Quebec are required by law to have Civil Liability Coverage. Looking to level up? You can also choose from our wide range of insurance options based on your car, lifestyle and budget. Keep reading to learn all about your coverage options in Quebec!
What coverage is mandatory in Quebec?
All drivers in Quebec are required by law to have Civil Liability Coverage.
Civil liability coverage
Pays for damage done to others or damages to your car when you’re not at-fault for the accident
- material damage caused by your car in an accident that you caused
- damage caused by others to your car in an accident
- medical bills for anyone you injure if the accident happens outside of Quebec, or in the United States
Quebec’s public automobile insurance plan (The SAAQ) pays for injuries regardless of who’s responsible for the accident. You can choose a coverage amount of $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 based on your needs.
Standard coverage in Quebec
Get additional protection for damage to your vehicle with these standard auto insurance coverage options.
Collision and Upset
Pays for repairs to your car when you're responsible for hitting someone or something with your car.
- collision with another car
- hitting an object
- collision with a person or an animal
- car flips over
- hit-and-run accident
All Perils other than Collision or Upset
Covers broken glass and all damage not related to a collision or if your car flips over.
- broken glass
- theft, attempted theft, vandalism
- storms and natural disasters
- damage caused by falling trees or other objects
- fire and explosion
Protects your car against specific types of damage and theft.
- theft, attempted theft
- storms and natural disasters
- fire and explosion
What insurance coverage is optional in Quebec?
In Quebec you can extend your auto insurance with these optional add-ons: accident forgiveness, belairdirect roadside assistance, autocomfort and replacement cost protection coverage.
Prevents the price of your insurance from going up as a direct result of your first two at-fault accidents.
belairdirect roadside assistance®
Provides 4 emergency services per membership year when you run into trouble on the road.
- towing (within 50 km from the breakdown location)
- spare tire installation
- locksmith services
- gas delivery (up to 10 L)
- removal of your car from a ditch
- battery boost
Available in Canada and the United States only
Offers several options to expand your protection in case of an accident.
- reimbursement for a rental car after an accident involving your car
- damage to a rented or borrowed car
- no out-of-pocket deductible to pay after a hit and run
- no out-of-pocket deductible to pay when your car is a total loss
- person who drives a car borrowed or rented in your name
- increases your death benefits fund (Accident Benefits Insurance) if you or your spouse are killed in an accident
Collision and upset and All Perils other than Collision or Upset coverages are required to be eligible for Autocomfort.
Replacement cost protection
Replaces your car with a new car with similar specifications, accessories and equipment, if the car is stolen or damaged beyond repair.
- financial compensation or replacement of your car with a new car with similar specifications, accessories and equipment
For 4 years maximum
Getting a car insurance quote in Quebec has never been easier!
Our online quote tool is here to help you choose insurance coverage that suits your budget.
Smart digital perks
With the belairdirect app, you get so much more from your car insurance. Manage your insurance anytime and access proof of insurance on the go. Get a personalized premium based on your driving habits with automerit®, as well as smart digital features that help keep you safe on the road.
Learn more about the belairdirect mobile app
More questions about car insurance?
How do I add a driver to my current auto insurance policy in Quebec?
To add a driver to your auto insurance you will need to contact your insurance agent. Your insurance premium will be adjusted based on criteria such as the age, marital status, driving record and years of experience of the secondary driver. Adding your children as secondary drivers could be an excellent way to bring down their insurance premiums while they are still a high risk to insure. Talk to your insurance agent to find the best coverage solutions for your situation.
What is not at fault car insurance in Quebec?
In Quebec, not at fault insurance is a public insurance plan that provides compensation in the event of an accident resulting in injury or death. This public insurance covers all resident of Quebec regardless of if they are or not responsible for the accident.
However, this coverage does not replace your mandatory car insurance. We can help you get the auto insurance coverage that will fit your needs.
Can someone drive my car if they are not on my insurance in Quebec?
Yes, in Québec you can lend your car to anyone with a valid driver's licence. But if the person gets into an accident depending on the situation and your coverage you may or may not be compensated.
- Under the liability coverage you will only be compensated if the driver is not at fault.
- Under the collision coverage you will be compensated even if the driver is at fault.
A borrower who drives your car frequently should be added to your insurance policy as an occasional driver.
What factors determine car insurance costs in Quebec?
In Québec, your car insurance premiums are calculated based of multiple factors:
- the car you drive (the type, make, model, year, value equipment)
- your driving history & record (number of years you’ve been driving, number of years you’ve been insured, accidents and tickets, SAAQ driving record)
- How much you drive (how often and how far you drive)
- who you are (age, gender)
- where you live (urban areas, rural areas…)
- The type of coverage you chose (adding optional coverage affects your rate)
How does car insurance work in Quebec?
The SAAQ or license Bureau (Société de l ‘assurance automobile) insured all Quebec residents in case of injury or death because of a traffic accident, no matter who caused the accident and where it occurred. In addition to that, In Québec the law requires that you contract a civil liability coverage with a private insurer for a minimum of $50,000 to cover for damages caused to your car or some else's.
If you can't present a valid proof of insurance when stopped by a police officer, you can get fined to up to $2800. And if you're involved in a car accident without insurance you can lose your driver's licence and pay for the damages caused to others.
You’re not sure of what coverage better fit your needs? We can help choose the best car insurance coverage that fit your needs.
How do I get cheaper car insurance in Quebec?
In Canada, Quebec has the lowest car insurance rates, but you can save even more by comparing insurance quotes
Here a few tips to keep in mind when comparing auto insurance quotes:
- consider both the price and the coverage you get
- Verify that no additional charges will be added to the quote you received initially
- Make sure you get a cheaper quote when you bundle up car and home insurance
- Verify you can get a cheaper rate when you pay annually instead of monthly
- Make sure good drivers get rewarded with special discounts
Saving money on auto insurance is only worthwhile if it doesn't compromise your safety. You should always review the different insurance options offered and fully understand which are the best options for you. We can help you get the auto insurance coverage that will fit your needs.
As a new driver who just got my driver’s license in Québec, will my premium be higher ?
It’s possible. Due to your lack of a driving record, your rates may be higher than someone with several years of experience, as we don’t know your driving habits yet.
All is not lost! We offer different savings options.
When possible, consider applying as a secondary driver under a parent's insurance policy. This allows you to pay a much smaller premium while allowing you to build up your auto insurance history.
You are studying in CEGEP or at the University? Enjoy our discounts fit for your lifestyle as a student!
At last, receive fair pricing based on the way you drive with automerit. Most of our customers save money with automerit, thanks to their good driving habits.