Trusted car insurance for Ontario drivers

belairdirect Has the Right Car Insurance Coverage for all Ontario Drivers

Whether you're in Thunder Bay or Timmins, belairdirect has the car insurance coverage to fit your driving needs in Ontario.

We offer customized insurance plans, multiple ways that you can save and online quotes to make it as easy as possible to choose the right insurance for your needs!

Whether you're stuck on the 401 going from downtown Toronto to Mississauga or you live in Ottawa and commute into Gatineau, belairdirect has the car insurance plan to cover you no matter what the situation calls for.

Getting a car insurance quote has never been easier

Call us today or apply online to get a quote and see how much you could save with belairdirect. It's quick, it's simple and it's absolutely free!

What to expect
when driving in Ontario…

Busiest freeway in Canada

The 401 is not only the busiest freeway in Canada, but in North America! Over 500,000 vehicles pass through its busiest sections every day!

Safest roads

Ottawa has some of the safest roads in Canada, despite an increasing number of drivers each year. You can thank government initiatives and NGOs who have helped reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on the road by 50% over the last 30 years.

Capital for auto insurance fraud

According to the Globe & Mail, Toronto and the GTA are the capital for auto insurance fraud. A recent investigation suggested that close to half of total repair expenses billed to insurance companies through body shops were exaggerated or completely fabricated. That adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

Adopt-a-Road program

Oakville has an Adopt-a-Road program that encourages residents to pick up litter alongside the road and keep it clean.

Georgian Bay Coastal Route

If you want to discover Northern Ontario's lakes, forests and natural scenery, take the Georgian Bay Coastal Route. You'll find over 2,000km of shoreline to discover.

Drive in Ontario

In order to drive in Ontario, you must be at least 16 years of age in order to get your learner's permit (G1) and have 12 months experience on the road to obtain your probationary license (G2). Once you have 1 year's experience, you can apply for your full licence (G).

New Drivers in Ontario

So you got your driver's license? Congratulations. Learning to drive is a big milestone in any young person’s life.

Being a new driver means you'll need insurance coverage to protect yourself. Due to your lack of driving experience, your rates may be higher than an experienced driver. Statistically speaking, young people between the ages of 20 to 24 are more often involved in accidents resulting in injuries or fatalities.

When possible, consider applying as a secondary driver under a parent's insurance policy. This allows you to pay a much smaller premium while allowing you to build up your auto insurance history.

5 things you need to know when choosing car insurance coverage in Ontario...

Just like the rest of Canada, car insurance is mandatory in order to be able to drive. This ensures that all parties are covered in the event of an incident that causes property damage or personal injury. In Ontario, the minimum liability coverage you'll require for auto insurance must cover third party liability, accident benefits coverage, uninsured automobile coverage and direct compensation-property damage coverage.

Car Insurance Policy:
Limits Required by Law

Third party Liability:
$200,000 coverage

Accident Benefits Coverage:
$65,000 for Non-catastrophic injuries (such as broken bones or whiplash).
$1,000,000 for Catastrophic injuries (loss of limbs, spinal cord injuries, etc.).
$250 per week for first dependant along with an additional $50 per week for each additional dependant.
$100 per week for housekeeping and home maintenance expenses in the event of catastrophic injuries

Uninsured Automobile Coverage:
Any damage, injury or death that occurs from an accident involving an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run.

Direct Compensation - Property Damage Coverage:
This will cover any damage to your car and its contents in the event of an accident that was not your fault.

The minimum amount of coverage required in Ontario is $200,000. This would cover any property damage, injury or death caused by an accident you are found to be responsible for. The minimum amount of coverage doesn't include all eventualities so to ensure you get the coverage you specifically need, consult with one of our agents.

No fault insurance is the system used to handle claims in Ontario. It simply means that, regardless of which party is found at fault for an accident, they will each deal with their own respective insurance company to handle their claims. You won't have to deal with the other person's insurance company at all. This system makes it easier to address claims while saving time and money.

This depends on the circumstances surrounding the vehicle in question.When in doubt, check the policy in effect on the vehicle. If the vehicle is properly insured and you are only using to vehicle for a specific instance (like someone asking you to drive their car back from the airport), then there should not be a problem. Insurance is applied to a vehicle, not a driver, and as such can extend to multiple drivers. If you borrow the vehicle on a regular basis, you'll need to apply for insurance on the vehicle's policy as a secondary driver. If you're unsure, always refer to the driver's policy. And always remember that driving an uninsured vehicle is against the law, no matter who is behind the wheel.

In the event that you wish to add a secondary driver to your policy so they can drive your car, you'll need to contact your insurance agent. Several criteria may affect how much the new driver will have to pay such as age, marital status, how long they’ve had their license and their driving experience. Having one of your children as a secondary driver is an excellent way to bring down their premiums while building a their insurance history.

In Ontario, if you're involved in an accident where you are proven not to have been at fault, you will not have to pay for the deductible on your car insurance. Any repairs will be covered through the Direct Compensation section of your policy, which is part of the mandatory coverage required in Ontario. However, if you’ve chosen to add a deductible to Direct Compensation – Property Damage, you will have to pay the deductible even when found not to have been at fault. If the accident was a hit-and-run and you were not able to identify who hit you, you'll have to pay out of pocket if you don't have collision coverage in your policy. Should you be able to identify the person who hit you, you may be covered through Direct Compensation. However, the person who hit you will need to have insurance for this coverage to apply.

Ready to compare your current premium or get new car insurance coverage?

Back to top