When your life takes a new turn, give your insurer a heads up!!
You actually have an obligation to inform your insurance provider of any changes liable to affect your car or home insurance coverage. If you'd like to know more about when it's advisable to contact your insurer, read on!
Changes affecting your car insurance
To provide you with a policy suitable to your particular needs, your insurer takes into account a number of factors, such as the purposes for which you use your vehicle, the driving record of all the individuals who drive the vehicle in question, your annual mileage, and the equipment that comes with the vehicle. You should inform your insurer of any changes in that regard, and particularly when you:
- You buy your first car as a couple
- Your child begins to drive your vehicle
- There's a change in how far you need to drive to get to work
- You add equipment to your vehicle that increases its value
- You're driving your vehicle outside Quebec or Ontario on a regular basis
- You use your vehicle for business purposes
- You put your vehicle in storage for the winter.
Changes affecting your home insurance
Your home insurance policy can be affected by a number of factors, such as a change in the number of persons residing in your home, a change in the value of your home, and modifications made to the interior or exterior of your home. It is advisable to contact your insurer when, for instance:
Your home insurance policy can be affected by a number of factors, such as a change in the value of your home, and modifications made to the interior or exterior of your home. It is advisable to contact your insurer when, for instance you:
- Acquire computer equipment, jewellery or other valuable items
- Carry out any major renovations
- Acquire certain breeds of dogs or an exotic animal
- Buy a pool or hot tub
- Change your heating system
- Install an auxiliary heating system
Don't wait for your policy renewal date to get in touch!
Be proactive and don't wait until the eve of your policy renewal or until something unexpected happens before talking to your insurer. Get in touch the moment there's a change in your life that may have an impact on your car or home insurance policy. You'll sleep more soundly knowing you've got the coverage that's right for your particular situation.